What are some of the latest products for seniors on the market?
Seniors represent a patient population providers cannot ignore. The population of seniors is massive and growing. According to the Census Bureau, there were 40.3 million people age 65 and older in the United States in 2010, which was up 5.3 percent from 35 million in 2000. Moreover, with the 77 million-person-strong Baby Boom well into retirement, the AARP now reports that by 2030 one in every five Americans will be age 65 or older.
Most providers are already serving seniors in their businesses, as older Americans form the cornerstone of many HMEs’ clientele. They provide seniors with products related to their therapy (such as oxygen equipment), as well as bath safety items, aids to daily living and other products.
In fact, retail items such as bath safety and ADLs offerings — and even higher price items such as scooters — could be the key to considerable cash revenue for providers when it comes to seniors.
Let’s look at just the Baby Boom, as an example: Baby boomers outspend other generations by an estimated $400 billion each year on consumer goods and services, according to a U.S. Government Consumer Expenditure Survey. Baby Boomers account for nearly $230 billion, or 55 percent, of consumer packaged goods sales, according to Nielsen. And, in the next 10 years, U.S. baby boomers will increase their annual spending on wellness-based services from approximately $200M to $1 trillion, according to Paul Zane Pilzer’s, “The Next Trillion.”
Suffice to say, retail is a critical category. Let’s look at some recent offerings:
Flex ‘N Go Cane Tip
Angled, Three-point Cane Tip Increases Stability
- The Flex ‘N Go Cane Tip can be added to almost any cane for enhanced stability and improved balance.
- The tip provides three points of contact with the ground, making it stable, and providing exceptional traction.
- The tip pivots so that the tip maintains continuous contact with the floor or ground, even when the cane is at an angle while walking or getting up from a seat.
Safe-er-Grip Changing Lifestyles Line
Balance Assistance for the Shower and Bath
- Designed to assist balance in the bath and shower area, the bars and accessories are designed with suction cup technology that lets the user to place them on a smooth, flat, non-porous surface for convenience and accessibility.
- The line includes four balance assist bars and 11 accessory items.
- Each item is designed to meet consumers’ needs for flexibility and bathroom safety.
Buzzaround XL Scooter
New Buzzarounds Come in Threeand Four-Wheel Formats
- The 2015 line of Golden Technologies’ Buzzaround XL scooters feature the threewheel model GB117 and the four-wheel model GB147.
- The new three-wheel model, which is nearly three inches longer than the previous model without sacrificing turning radius, indoor maneuverability or adding additional weight to the unit.
- Both models have a ground clearance 25 percent higher than the previous version, and offer features such as four-step disassembly; adjustable LED headlight; front basket with handle; and composite mag wheels.
Compression that Encourages Compliance
- Designed for BSN’s JOBST UltraSheer knee high stockings, SoftFit technology addresses patient non-compliance in the management of chronic venous disorders (CVD) by combining gradient compression with specialized silicone yarns for increased comfort.
- BSN medical’s BSN medical stated that SoftFit technology provides less compression to the popliteal area to emulate natural venous blood flow.
- It consists of a patent-pending, knitted-in silicone yarn in the top band to keep the stockings in place without constriction.
Fall/Winter House Slippers
Stylish Comfort Paired with Support
- Incorporating Vionic’s Orthaheel orthotic technology, the women’s house slippers emphasize support and stability in order to provide relief from common lower limb pains.
- The Cozy Juniper, which aims to provide a more luxurious option for the patient that desires the security of a back to a house slipper.
- Faux fur lines the inside for comfort and support, and offers an attractive look that can be retailed directly from a provider’s storefront.
Vionic Group LLC
DayDreamer Lift Chair
Lift Chair Features New Power Pillow
- An addition to Golden’s Maxi Comfort lift chair line, the DayDreamer features an updated look, AutoDrive 3.0, and a new standard accessory: the all new and exclusive Power Pillow.
- The Power Pillow is and built-in powered adjustable head/neck-positioning system.
- The user can easily recline the chair and then adjust their head position with the touch of a button.
Golden Technologies Inc.
This article originally appeared in the November 2015 issue of HME Business.