As providers work to expand their revenues, one long-standing category provides a good mix of retail and funded revenue that is also supported by solid demographics: orthopedics.
For starters, orthopedic goods are products that often meet the criteria for reimbursement, and are more often covered than not when prescribed as medically necessary. Also, when orthopedics are prescribed, there are many items providers can sell on a retail that dovetail with those products to increase theirs profits. For instance, when a patient needs a knee brace, the provider can up-sell heating pads, analgesics and knee wedges. Or, when a lumbar or cervical support is prescribed, the provider can sell positioning pillows and cushions, heating pads, pain relief devices, analgesics and reaching aids.
But orthopedic goods can also be sold on a retail basis, as well, and when you consider the demographics that need these offerings, the argument to offer orthopedic products becomes even stronger. Baby Boomers represent a key patient population, and selling orthopedic products to this huge customer base can offer a high rate of success given that many of the can self-fund. Also as that population ages and people that are older remain physically active longer, an increasing number of those people require some type of supports and braces to help maintain those active lifestyles, as well as to prevent and treat minor injuries.
Suffice it to say that orthopedic products clearly represent a key revenue opportunity for providers, and one that lets them leverage existing patient relationships and their in-depth product knowledge. Let’s take a look at some key orthopedic offerings:
Pippa Toe Post Sandal
- Lightweight, flexible EVA midsole absorbs shock, reducing stress on feet, ankles and knees.
- Orthaheel Technology is biomechanically designed to hug arches and support feet, and built-in orthotic is shown to be effective in helping to treat heel pain (plantar fasciitis).
- Durable rubber outsole with a patterned tread provides traction on a variety of surfaces.
Compression wrap allows for total leg coverage
- Easy to don and doff, inelastic wrap features 20-50mmHg of gradient, short-stretch compression from the same garment.
- Comfortable compression straps are easy to reach because they wrap around the front of the knee.
- Inner stretch panel allows simple donning and doffing and the butterfly strap can be worn over the patella for covered flexibility.
Shoes designed to combine style with comfort
At this year’s show, Vionic will showcase its Brisk Miles line of therapeutic footwear, which combines biomechanical support innovations with the season’s on-trend looks. The company aims to prove that style doesn’t need to hurt.
ING Source Inc.
FS4 Orthotic Sock
Orthotic sock with FS6 technology to prevent Plantar Fasciitis
The FS4 Orthotic Sock is a new breed that deviates from the traditional style of sock-making with function leading form and incorporates the award winning and patented FS6 technology. Featuring patented Compression Zone Technology, there is support and functional lift of the foot arch tissue with medical grade compression for control and prevention of PF. The result is a bracing sock that provides orthopedic support, not just blister protection.
ING Source Inc.
DS6 Decompression Foot Sleeve with K-Zone Technology
Foot sleeve designed to relieve pain, swelling
The DS6 Decompression Foot Sleeve with K-Zone Technology simulates therapeutic taping to relieve the painful symptoms of moderate to severe Plantar Fasciitis, heel pain, foot swelling, and other arch and heel conditions. Proper circulation, in conjunction with muscle, ligament, and tissue support is an important key for maintaining, recovery and strengthening after a day’s work or a workout.
ING Source Inc.
WS6 Wrist Bracing Sleeve
Compression Zone Technology to relieve wrist pain
- Supports and stabilizes without bulky straps or cuffs.
- Slip-on design allows sleeve to be worn under clothes.
- Uses medical-grade Compression Zone Technology.
Bell-Horn Pro Wrap Thumb Stabilizer
Stabilizer gives customizable support
- Features universal wrap-around and low profile.
- Removable and moldable aluminum for customizable support.
- Moveable, elastic thumb strap provides the option for additional compression.
ING Source Inc.
KS7 Knee Bracing Sleeve
Relieve knee pain with warmth, strength, and support
- Easy-on fit for continuous support, day or night.
- Eliminates bulky straps and inconvenient immobility.
- Non-slip design keeps sleeve in place.
Bell-Horn Pro-Fit Wrist
Lightweight write brace offers universal fit
- Features a patented single-pull elastic lace-closure system.
- Soft, breathable liner for comfort.
- Pre-contoured aluminum palmar stay for anatomically correct fit.
Apex Foot Health Industries LLC
A Stylish Boat Shoe for Women
- Recommended for women who have
bunions, arthritis, diabetic feet, or who
need shock removable insoles, high/wide
toe box, adjustability, stability, and
- The Sydney style is soft, light and beautiful.
This feminine boat shoe is the
lightest fashion-forward therapeutic shoe
- The shoe features soft, breathable mesh
linings; a slip-resistant rubber outsole; and
toomy toe-box design.