MPP Bill Up to 65 Sponsors
H.R. 1717 continues momentum, picks up an additional 21 sponsors.
- By David Kopf
- May 16, 2013
As providers prepare to head to Washington, D.C. for next week’s American Association for Homecare annual Washington Legislative Conference (May 22-23), H.R. 1717, the bill that would replace competitive bidding with the market pricing program (MPP) continues to gain momentum.
Known as the Medicare DMEPOS Market Pricing Program Act of 2013, the bill picked up 21 additional co-sponsors this week, pushing its total number of legislative backers to 65 lawmakers. Over the course of a little more than three weeks, the bill went from 25 co-sponsors, then gained 19 more to bring the total to 44, and now this week’s additional 21.
The latest crop of supporters includes:
- Rep. Daniel B. Maffei (D-N.Y.)
- Rep. Charles W. Boustany, Jr. (R-La.)
- Rep. Nick J. Rahall II (D-W.Va.)
- Rep. Scott R. Tipton (R-Colo.)
- Rep. Richard L. Hanna (R-N.Y.)
- Rep. Mike D. Rogers (R-Ala.)
- Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.)
- Rep. Gus M. Bilirakis (R-Fla.)
- Rep. James R. Langevin (D-R.I.)
- Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.)
- Rep. Michael R. Turner (R-Ohio)
- Rep. Steve Stivers (R-Ohio)
- Rep. John Kline (R-Minn.)
- Rep. Keith J. Rothfus (R-Pa.)
- Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.)
- Rep. Charles J. “Chuck” Fleischmann (R-Tenn.)
- Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr. (R-Wis.)
- Rep. William L. Enyart (D-Ill.)
- Rep. Mike Kelly (R-Pa.)
- Rep. Kerry L. Bentivolio (R-Mich.)
- Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.)
H.R. 1717 was launched in the House a fortnight ago by senior members of the House Ways and Means Committee Rep. Tom Price, M.D. (R-Ga.) and Rep. John Larson (D-Conn.). The legislation would would amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to have the MPP to determine prices for home medical equipment, instead of CMS's national competitive bidding program.
David Kopf is the Publisher and Executive Editor of HME Business and DME Pharmacy magazines. Follow him on Twitter at @postacutenews.