What a year it has been for the sleep therapy market: a rapidly
changing sector of the HME industry driven by technological innovation
and the desire to give patients the sleep they deserve. In 2019 alone, several
companies introduced a wide variety of products and services for sleep apnea
patients searching for more comfortable and effective options to treat their
conditions. For providers, navigating the market means finding products that
can satisfy patients’ need for data and mobile care while also driving more
revenue through resupply programs.
Luckily, manufacturers continue to introduce products that meet the
criteria. CPAP masks and machines are becoming more portable by the
day, helping patients maintain their therapy regimen as they travel through
airports and train stations. At the same time, some patients who struggle
with compliance are finding success through alternative treatment options
such as EPAP devices. Compliance rates are also improving through patient
education services focused on their treatment success.
In addition, sleep therapy providers are stepping up their game when it
comes to mobile monitoring of sleep data. Bluetooth connectivity is available
on most CPAP systems, allowing patients and their doctors to view treatment
progress and suggest therapy changes if necessary. Providers would be smart
to keep up with the latest updates on remote monitoring technology, which is
crucial to many patients as they decide which product to select.
From patient coaching services to portable CPAP masks, here is a
sampling of the products that could help grow your sleep business.
Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare
IntelliPAP 2 AutoAdjust CPAP
CPAP with Bluetooth connectivity lets users monitor their health
The IntelliPAP 2 AutoAdjust CPAP uses a predictive algorithm that learns a user’s natural breathing pattern and then adjusts how much humidified air should be delivered. It also features built-in Bluetooth, which lets users synch their IntelliPAP 2 to the free SmarkLink app (available from the App Store or Google Play). With the app, users will receive simple, color-coded feedback on their therapy, frequent reports on usage, and reminders for machine maintenance and care. User data can also be sent to a healthcare provider at the user’s discretion.
Provent Sleep Therapy LLC
Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy
A unique, simple sleep therapy approach
- A disposable, nightly-use nasal device placed just inside the nostrils and held securely in place with hypoallergenic adhesive.
- Proprietary MicroValve design creates pressure when patients exhale to keep their airway open.
- Provent is small and disposable, making it discreet, convenient and travel friendly.
Sunset Healthcare Solutions
Tube and Filter Resupply
Custom packaging options to help resupply thrive
Sunset Healthcare Solutions Tube and Filter Resupply program offers a customizable CPAP kit with an entire three- or six-month supply of CPAP tubes, disposable and non-disposable filters. Kits may potentially include items from Sunset’s full line of CPAP products, such as masks and cushions.
Respura Boomerang Gel Pad
Pad offers additional comfort for CPAP users
- A nasal cushion that relieves pressure and skin irritation from CPAP masks.
- Comes in two sizes and can be washed with warm water using mild soap or with alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Replacement recommended every 30 days.
Sleep Better Bed Wedges & 2-in-1 Comfort Leg Wedge
Inflatable wedges transform patients' sleep, HMEs' shelves
- Available in four sizes, the Sleep Better Bed Wedges and the 2-in-1 Leg Wedge provide doctor-recommend elevation.
- Offer relief from relief from conditions such as acid reflux, respiratory issues, snoring, blood pressure, hiatal hernia, migraines, back pain, circulation issues, edema, injuries, and surgery recovery.
- Providers can merchandise 16 or more of the slim packages on a 4 in. shelf
Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare
100FD Mask Series
100FD Mask Series adds comfort to full-face coverage
To make PAP therapy more comfortable, the 100FD Mask Series removes the forehead pad and replaces it with a soft silicon cushion with a frame stabilizer to evenly redistribute pressure over a large surface area. The series comes with two options, which includes the Trimline with a 15 mm diameter and the Economy with a 22 mm diameter.
American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Telemedicine system connects providers, patients, physicians
- Helps sleep specialists and DME providers who want to conduct their first video consultations and follow-up visits.
- Comprises a web-based video platform and a patient self-pay feature that facilitates convenient, secure payments.
- Features an interactive sleep diary, sleep log and sleep questionnaires, and can sync with Fitbit sleep data to monitor and address patients’ sleep habits.
CPAP pillow overs multiple ways to drive cash
The CPAPMax Pillow helps patients reach and stay compliant by dramatically improving their sleep. The pillow has four adjustable heights, a dual-sided cover, plush fiberfill or 3D mesh, and ventilated foam to keep the user cool and comfortable. It is compatible with all mask types and accommodates all sleeping positions. It also has customized pillowcases that can be added to increase average sales, which are available in blue, beige, and white.
Tiny CPAP a game-changer for traveling sleep patients
ResMed’s AirMini might be small, but packs ResMed’s clinically proven sleep technology along with its comfort and ease-of-use features into a portable, pocket-sized device. ideal for traveling. It is available with ResMed’s proprietary AutoSet functionality, and a built-in humidification system for patient comfort.
Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Inc.
Brevida Nasal Pillows Mask
Nasal pillows mask takes a unique approach to comfort
- A 2017 HMEB New Product of the Year Award winner, the mask is designed for compliance and built for comfort.
- Features innovative AirPillow seal which inflates to form a “pillow” of air in and around the nose for a gentle, effective seal.
- A washable air diffuser prevents exit air from escaping, which cuts noise and draft