Mobility and Accessibility
The mobility market can be tricky to navigate
given its breadth, ranging from funded complex rehab technology
to retail devices.
Medicare makes the process of funding mobility difficult
and lengthy, leading some consumers to fund their own independence.
For instance, geriatric patients have largely accepted the fact Medicare
won’t pay for mobility products beyond bottom-rung options, which
means they are more willing to pay out of pocket for what they want,
sometimes with the help of their family.
At the same time, CRT patients’ needs continue to grow and require
highly specified solutions. Manufacturers in that segment of the mobility
market continue to expand in terms of the types of products that they
offer to serve the needs of pediatric to adult patients.
Furthermore, regardless of condition or funding source, mobility clients
require a variety of related products, such as home access, bath safety, and
auto access products, which are typically provided on a retail basis.
The result is that mobility providers — whether they pursue the retail
side of the market or funded services — must have an equally broad and
deep knowledge of the offerings available on the market. Here are some
compelling solutions in that regard:
Heavy-duty vehicle lift carries hefty chairs
- High-capacity hitch mounted lift.
- Designed to carry popular heavy-duty power
wheelchairs on a hitch-mounted vehicle lift.
- Ideal for large power wheelchairs that can’t
be carried inside a vehicle (due to size
New ramp series builds on design innovations
“Enable” Series Modular Ramp
- Made-in-USA aluminum ramps adapt to
site conditions, and provides attractive
- Subtle changes make handrails stiffer and
reduce water retention on walking surfaces.
- Compatible with all Access4U modular
accessories such as stairs, gates, angled
platforms, picket railings and guardrails
which may be required for a convenient and
Shower-commode chair packs in the features
AQUATEC Ocean Ergo Dual VIP with
Collection Pan/Lid/Pan Support Rail
- Features 5-40 degree tilt with a smart weight
shift mechanism that helps ensure stability
on a small footprint and 5-35 degree backrest
- Ergonomic, height-adjustable swing-away
armrests and footrests and angle-adjustable
flip-up textured footplates with heel loops
- Innovative ergonomic seat encourages a
more upright position for enhanced comfort
A lighter and smaller model of the company’s UPWalker
UPWalker Lite Upright Walker
- New take on a familiar mobility format helps
users walk upright in a safer, more secure
posture as compared to walkers and rollators
that cause users to hunch over.
- Especially well-suited for indoor and outdoor
- Compared to the original UPWalker, the
UPWalker Lite walking aid is easier to
maneuver in tighter spaces, easier to lift and
transport better and suited for smaller, frailer
LifeWalker Mobility Products
Rollator is sized for the youngest people being cared for
Marcy rollator and gait trainer
- An anterior rollator/gait trainer with a wide
range of accessories to assist toddlers and
children in their first attempts in mobility.
- Comes in four sizes with fun colors to
encourage attention and participation.
- Can be a child’s new best friend for indoor
and outdoor play and adventure.
Clarke Health Care Products
Rigid wheelchairs puts an emphasis on efficient motion
- Features patented ovalized frame tubing
made of aerospace-graded 7020 aluminum
to help cut weight; starts at 18.3 lbs.
- Patented caster link is one hollow forged
component for strength and can be
personally tailored for handling, turning and
- Twist-to-Lock bar lets users fold, lift and load
the Nitrum into a car with just one hand.
Scooter’s ultra-lightweight design makes for easy travel
- Scooter combines an aluminum frame,
lithium batteries and brushless motors to
create an ultra-lightweight design for easy
- Offers quiet operation and a new electrical
system that works with brushless motor
- Has a height-adjustable, removable seat
with a foldable tiller and includes an air-safe
lithium-ion battery pack.
Pride Mobility/Quantum Rehab
Lift duo offers access into and then within facility
UpLift Entryway and UpLift Seating
- Designed to help wheelchair users access
facilities and then, once inside, be raised to
better engage in activities and events.
- UpLift Entryway is a relocatable platform lets
wheelchairs users lift themselves unassisted
into and out of facilities. Both products can
be quickly folded, stored and set up.
- UpLift Seating is a relocatable platform
that lets wheelchair users control an LCD
touchpad to raise and lower themselves
while in a facility.
A unique blend of rear- and midwheel technology
QUICKIE Q500 H
- With the drive wheel closer to the midposition,
the Q500 H has improved
traction and a smaller turning radius over a
traditional rear-wheel drive and improved
outdoor driving over a mid-wheel drive.
- Responsive suspension system coupled with
the drive wheel placement helps the Q500 H
be a highly maneuverable rear-wheel drive
- Available with the adjustable SEDEO PROT
seating system in Group 3 standard and HD,
and Group 4 standard duty.
This article originally appeared in the Mar/Apr 2021 issue of HME Business.