One of those niches is The sports therapy/rehab niche lets providers leverage their knowledge and access to the right products in order to cement solid relationships with a new client segment.
- By David Kopf
- Sep 01, 2015
For many providers, succeeding in retail sales lies in capitalizing on niches that leverage their considerable expertise. If a provider can identify a related market that lets it leverage its knowledge and access to the right products, it can cement solid relationships with that client segment.
One of those niches is sports therapy/rehab. Many sports therapy/rehab offerings are items providers already supply, or are related to them. Moreover, these products are often very much in line with providers’ staff expertise. Some of the clearly related sports therapy/rehab products would be compression garments and especially stockings; braces, supports and other orthopedic offerings; as well as both stock and custom orthotics.
Also, the sports therapy/rehab market lets providers upsell with muchneeded items, such as cold and heating packs, and pain management items, which also appeal to other DME patients. And, for some providers that might specialize in certain DME categories, such as mobility, they can even establish themselves in unique athletic markets, such as wheelchair sports.
Undoubtedly, athletes of all types, professional and amateur, young and old, those with medical conditions and without, will at some point need sports rehab/therapy products, and providers are in a unique position to serve that need. Let’s look at some of the latest offerings on the market:
TENS + EMS Combo System
Product pairing geared for strength and recovery
- FDA-cleared, over-the-counter offering combines transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) for pain relief and electrical muscle stimulation (EMS) for muscle strength and weakness.
- Equipped with 14 preset programs that let users customize their therapy for pain relief or muscle conditioning, and with a therapy mode specifically for arthritis.
- System includes three AAA batteries, lead wires, tote bag, belt clip holder and four 2 in. by 2 in. electrode pads for TENS and two 3.5 in. by 5 in. electrodes for EMS.
Top End Pro-2 All Sport Wheelchair
Ready for various wheelchair sports out of the box
- Designed for the aspiring athlete who wants to play basketball, tennis, softball or any sport played on a court surface.
- Available in three seat widths with quick and easy adjustments, and is ready to play right out of the box.
- Includes 25 in. high performance sport wheels, high pressure tires, a seat cushion, side guards, rear frame protector, single swivel anti-tip bar and positioning strap.
Water-powered lifts for pools and spas
- No electricity, batteries, or complex maintenance required, as we lifts are water-powered, which means low operating costs.
- Designed for in-ground and above-ground pools and spas, the lifts offering a weight capacity is 300 lbs. to 400 lbs., depending on model, but higher weights can be accommodated with custom units.
- Lifts are portable, designed for easy installation, and replacement parts are inexpensive and can be installed with common tools.
Aquatic Access Inc.
Ready for the gym, road, or field sports
- Now in four new colors in addition to white and black, the socks improve circulation and flush out lactic acid by featuring 20-30mmHg of medicalgrade graduated compression.
- Designed to be tightest at the ankle and decrease in pressure going up the leg, the socks helps fight the force of gravity and circulate blood back to the heart and lungs.
- The built-in Achilles tendon protector helps protect vulnerable ligaments and a cushioned foot bed was designed to keep feet blister free.
Flex‐Mate K500 Bariatric
Bariatric style Knee CPM
- All the same features and functions as the standard Flex-Mate K500 but with an additional 2.5 in. in the thigh carriage to more comfortably accommodate oversized patients.
- Provides a full range of motion of -10° in extension to 120° of flexion.
- Controls located on the handheld pendant let users start or stop the unit, as well as adjust for flexion, extension, speed, and pause settings, and a lockout feature can prevent unintentional or unauthorized setting changes.
KLC Services Inc.
Apex Boss Runners
Biomechanically efficient, flexible running shoe
- The shoe features a molded external heel counter extended on the medial side for rear foot stability, Carboplas footbridge for tortional stability, and a triple density, compression sculpted midsole to preserve balance.
- The adjustable, Patented Lockdown Heel Strap tightens for narrow heels, and spreads out to accommodate AFOs.
- The 5/16 in. removable depth in two layers and spacious anatomical toe box allows for biomechanical efficiency and fitting flexibility.
Aetrex Worldwide Inc.
This article originally appeared in the September 2015 issue of HME Business.
About the Author
David Kopf is the Publisher and Executive Editor of HME Business and DME Pharmacy magazines. Follow him on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/in/dkopf/ and on Twitter at @postacutenews.