Orthopedics provides a good mix of retail and funded revenue that is supported by solid demographics.
- By David Kopf
- May 01, 2015
As HME businesses work to diversify their revenues, one long-standing category provides a good mix of retail and funded revenue that is supported by solid demographics: orthopedics. Looking at demographics, Baby Boomers are a key patient population, and selling orthopedic products to this huge customer base can offer a high rate of success. As the population ages and people that are older remain physically active longer, an increasing number of those people require some type of supports and braces to help maintain those active lifestyles, as well as to prevent and treat minor injuries.
And, as mentioned, orthopedic goods are strong reimbursable products that often meet the criteria for reimbursement, and are more often covered than not when prescribed as medically necessary. And, when orthopedics are prescribed, there are many items providers can sell that dovetail with those products to increase theirs profits. As an example, when a patient needs a knee brace, the provider can up-sell heating pads, pain analgesics and knee wedges. Or, when a lumbar or cervical support is prescribed, the provider can sell positioning pillows and cushions, heating pads, pain analgesics and reaching aids.
And, of course, there is nothing stopping patients from purchasing orthopedic products on a retail basis, like they already do in vast amounts. Orthopedic products clearly represent a key revenue opportunity for providers, and an arena in which providers can bring their considerable product knowledge to bear. Let’s take a look at some key orthopedic offerings:
Orthosis for physiological guidance of the knee joint
- Modern easyglide hinges stabilize and support the natural roll and glide motion of the knee joint.
- Circular straps at the thigh and lower leg for a secure fit and improvement of wearing comfort.
- Integrated recessed grip at the upper edge of the orthosis to aid donning, and silicone coating at the back of the thigh area helps prevent migration
EXOS bondable material
Custom functional insert line includes EXOS advanced technology
- A proprietary, thermoformable material that lets physicians make adjustments quickly and easily in their own office.
- Thin, strong and easily adjustable, EXOS is easy to grind, and has a low thermosetting temperature that allows for adjustments to be made in much less time than other carbon-based orthotics.
- Comes with an Exothermix heat patch that allows the podiatrist to apply heat to the specific part of the insert in need of adjustment.
Men's & Women's Tie-Less Athletics
Tie-less athletic shoe that ensures comfort, protection
- Tie-Less Lacing System enables fastening the shoe without the need for tying laces, and a soft, seamfree lining ensures comfort and protection.
- A Heel-Strap enables adjusting the grip around the heel, eliminating slippage, and accommodating wide feet and braces.
- Extra-depth design along with soft, non-binding upper ease pressure on the foot, and a lightweight, cushioning sole with Ergonomic-Stride design softens step, and helps propel the foot forward.
Juzo Naturally Sheer
Upgraded stockings offer style, new features
- Combines the comfort and mobility of a lace-up Improved Juzo Naturally Sheer compression stocking let wearers move in comfort and style.
- Now with a more comfortable waistband, optimized elasticity, vented silver fiber panty lining and easier donning.
- Available in our winter seasonal colors.
EVERSHEER Lavender Mist
Sheer women’s compression in a limited-edition shade
- The new Lavender Mist color pairs perfectly with a variety of colors and is designed for women looking to add a hint of spring to their wardrobe.
- Constructed with SIGVARIS’ double-covered inlay yarn technology, the transparent and silky smooth hosiery comes in various styles including kneehighs, thigh-highs, and pantyhose.
- The EVERSHEER line is available in 15-20mmHg, 20-30mmHg and 30-40mmHg compression levels, but the Lavender Mist is only available in 20-30mmHg.
3D Knit Knee Support
Innovative knit structure provides gradient compression to promote healing.
- Anatomical contouring supports natural motion of the knee and medical-grade silicone insert guides the patella and massages surrounding soft tissues to help reduce swelling.
- Incorporates a “motion comfort zone” in popliteal area for increased comfort, and comfortable, non-constricting top and bottom cuffs.
- Constructed with moisture-wicking fibers, this premium knee support is a lightweight, breathable alternative to neoprene.
FLA Orthopedics, a brand of BSN medical Inc.
This article originally appeared in the May 2015 issue of HME Business.
David Kopf is the Publisher and Executive Editor of HME Business and DME Pharmacy magazines. Follow him on Twitter at @postacutenews.