HME software has helped providers unlock information that can lead to powerful changes in their businesses. What are some of the latest options?
- By David Kopf
- Apr 01, 2015
If information is power, then HME software has been the key that has let providers unlock that power. In an era of wholesale reimbursement cuts, providers have been able to leverage software systems to increase their efficiency, drive down their cost models, protect themselves from threats, and explore new opportunities.
Today’s HME software offerings provide entire business management platforms for HME providers. At their core, the systems offer billing and claims processing features, but that’s just one aspect of these systems. Now HME software systems feature a whole range of operations tools, such inventory management, automatic reorders, and delivery management. They also include reporting features and “dashboards” that let management monitor business and operational performance at a glance, while also letting them drill down to investigate trouble spots in the business.
And these systems let providers adapt to changing industry dynamics. For instance, documentation tools and document imaging tools let providers respond to audits, and re-supply features help providers drive increased revenue by ensuring that their patients maximize their re-orders for items such as sleep therapy supplies. And, of course, many systems offer advanced retail sales capabilities that let providers not only conduct cash transactions, but ensure those transactions are tied to all facets of the back office from inventory to patients records.
At its core, software has helped providers survive and thrive despite a difficult Medicare and private payor reimbursement environment. Software has helped HME businesses nimbly respond to seemingly constant change, which means it will continue to play a key role in the industry. Let’s take a look at what’s been happening with some of the key systems on the market:
Full-featured DME Management Solution
- A full-featured DME management solution that includes electronic claim submission, document imaging, credit card processing, accounts receivable, inventory and claims management.
- Billing and claims management system streamlines the overall billing process and a central, server-based solution permits simple transmission of claims and supporting documentation to Medicare, Medicaid and more than 2,300 private carriers.
- Industry specific features such as real-time patient eligibility, patient scheduling, CMNs, and custom physician orders.
Intuitive features and increased automation
- Software has incorporated enhanced integration with COLLECTPlus from A/R Allegiance Group LLC (ARA) for enhanced automation of many billing and collections features.
- Written Orders feature that lets providers design letters with keyword replacement, inform them of written order requirements and prevent delivery of product until a written order has been received.
- Efficient referral communication tools that let providers design letters in Microsoft Word using keywords that can be printed, faxed and spooled, with the option to attach original referral requests.
Newly Launched Unified HME Platform
- New CareTend combines the features of Mediware’s various homecare solutions into a single platform that aims to enhance patient care across the post-acute continuum, including HME providers, home infusion providers, home health agencies and specialty pharmacies.
- Includes new, enhanced user experience features such as an interface designed for easy navigation with fewer clicks and greater personalization, so that users can customize their workspace to better fit their responsibilities and workflows.
- In terms of scalability and flexibility, CareTend is designed to support providers with multiple sites and large patient volumes, as well as less complex environments.
Mediware Information Systems
New Enhanced Revenue Cycle Management and Connectivity
- Recently upgraded with CareToCash, a combination of software and services that comprise patient intake management, compliance and documentation management, and billing to streamline business operations, stay in regulatory compliance, and optimize financial performance.
- For sleep providers, now integrates interface with full-service warehousing and logistics company PPM Fulfillment, which specializes in drop shipping of CPAP supplies. as well as direct integration with ResMed’s AirView patient management system.
- Integration with collections solution provider Strategic AR that lets Brightree users easily access Strategic AR dashboards to view overall outstanding accounts receivable, or drill down further to the account level of a selected patient via single sign-on.
New Data Connection for Drop Shipping, Collections Capabilities
- System is a complete patient management system providing the necessary operational functionality required for providers, such as billing, accounts receivable, compliance, auditing, inventory management and document imaging.
- New integration of the COLLECTPlus program from A/R Allegiance Group LLC automates all the aspects of patient billing and collections, and includes features such as dashboard sign-on, an enhanced statement design, and auto posting payments.
- Now offering VendorLink, a direct, electronic data connection to McKesson Medical-Surgical for automatic drop shipments
Universal Software Solutions Inc.
A Comprehensive Platform
- Provides a comprehensive solution for greater accountability and efficiency in billing, documentation, reporting, compliance and inventory management.
- Speeds claims and simplifies tasks, such as order entry and Medicare documentation, while giving you control of accounts receivable, sales and rental inventory.
- Advanced modules, including IIAS/SIGIS-certified HME Point-of-Sale and the industry’s only integrated HME IVR, can be added as needed.
This article originally appeared in the April 2015 issue of HME Business.