Compression: Product Solutions
Compression represents a key opportunity for HME businesses to serve new patients and drive new revenue.
- By David Kopf
- Aug 01, 2014
As providers hunt for ways for expand their revenues, compression represents a key opportunity for HME businesses to serve new patients and drive new revenue. Compression can be used to treat a variety of conditions, including foot swelling, mild edema, varicose veins, thrombosis, varicosities of varying severities, and diabetes. This is where providers can help, by offering a range of compression solutions and ensuring staff can knowledgeably assist a wide range of patients.
Better yet, the revenue from compression products is usually cash sales and free from Medicare. There are only a few Medicare scenarios in which Medicare reimburses compression, so for the most part compression transactions are done a retail basis. And given the large number of diabetic patients, seniors and other major patient populations that need compression, the number of transactions can get very large. Providers that specialize in compression can often derive as much as a quarter of their revenues from compression garments alone.
That means that providers can concentrate on all the sales and marketing appeals that can drive increased sales. And sales and marketing is an important consideration because, at the end of the day compression garments are clothing, and that means that fashion can play a role. Compression or no, people want to feel what they’re wearing makes them look good. That opens a wealth of marketing opportunities for providers. Let’s look at some of the latest offerings on the market:
Cotton Sock for Men Comes in Range of Compression
Dynamic Cotton Sock for Men
- The Dynamic Cotton Sock for Men is opaque throughout from heel to calf.
- Offers a wider foot portion and features a prominent ribbed design.
- Available in 15-20 mmHg, 20-30 mmHg and 30-40 mmHg compression
- Colors are brown, khaki, navy and black.
Fashion-Oriented Compression Knee High
UltiTher Ultimate Therapy Microfiber Knee-High
- Unisex knee high socks deliver medically correct graduated 20 -30 mmHg compression with fashion and comfort to help relieve pain of tired, aching legs, mild varicosities and edema, and are effective as post sclerotherapy treatment.
- Two-way stretch design, comfortable honeycomb knit top band, reciprocated toe and heel, flat seams on the open toe.
- Style includes open toe and closed toe knee high in black and beige, and sizes Small, Medium, Large, X-Large
Global Health Connection Inc.
Medical Surgical and Anti-Embolism Stockings
Shape-to-Fit Compression Wear
- Made from durable, breathable material, the stockings feature soft-seam construction and easy-on graduated compression, and are made for men and women.
- Anti-Embolism Collection stockings come with standard 18 mmHg compression and provide a massaging action to help prevent the formation of blood clots, protect against deep vein thrombosis, and improve circulation and valve function.
- Medical Surgical legwear feature an open-toe design provides graduated compression, helping to prevent the pooling of blood in the legs, as well as minor fatigue, aches and swelling.
Breathable and Comfortable
SIGVARIS Sea Island Cotton Socks
- Breathable and comfortable socks are made from rare cotton.
- Feature graduated compression of 15-20mmHg.
- Suitable for travel and daily wear. Available for both men and women in black, brown and navy.
Unisex Coolmax Socks
UltiTher Ultimate Therapy Coolmax Sox
- Designed for active patients, moisture wicking socks transfer moisture from the skin to the outside, therefore keeping the foot dry.
- Graduated 20-30 mmHg compression relieves tired, aching and swollen legs.
- Include soft rib knit with non-restricting band, reciprocated toe and heel, plush cushioned foot.
- Come in black and white and sizes Small, Medium, Large, X-Large.
Global Health Connection Inc.
New Seasonal Colors
2014 Summer Colors
- Juzo Summer Colors include dolphin, mango, maize, pink, strawberry, orchid and midnight blue are available in compression knee-highs, thigh-highs, leggings, pantyhose, arm sleeves and gauntlets.
- All summer colors are available in the Soft and Dynamic product lines.
- Tie dye and black tie dye are available upon request.
This article originally appeared in the August 2014 issue of HME Business.
David Kopf is the Publisher and Executive Editor of HME Business and DME Pharmacy magazines. Follow him on Twitter at @postacutenews.