Product Solutions: Scooters
A round of up of some of the latest personal mobility scooter offerings.
- By Laura Swift
- Nov 01, 2009
Scooters and personal mobility vehicles have reached a level of ubiquity where they are commonly seen in public places such as grocery stores and amusement parks. Because scooters are so common, consumers can mistake them as a one-size-fits-all solution for anyone with mobility impairments. However, scooters are medical devices that need to be properly fitted to an individual based on their medical needs, lifestyle and environment.
Providers can offer one-on-one assessments to tailor a scooter to a user’s unique needs. Tillers are available in a number of different styles, including the Delta with a wraparound handle, along with adjustable tillers and fingertip controls. Various seat models provide adjustable backs and custom heights, and three-, four- and five-wheel scooters offer varying ranges of maneuverability and stability. When properly assessed, a scooter enhances a user’s daily life and allows them to travel in outdoor and indoor environments with ease. Here are some of the latest offerings:
Ride in Style
- The Leo power scooter features an illuminated dashboard, LED headlamps and a 350-lb. weight capacity.
- An easy-to-use tiller-mounted charger port and adjustable tiller are included.
- The midsize unit is available in silver and blue exteriors.
Sleek and Sporty
- The Victory Series scooters feature a Delta tiller with wraparound handles, lightweight non-scuffing wheels, a backlit battery gauge and an auto-connecting front-to-rear harness.
- One-hand feather-touch disassembly is designed to provide a quick transport system.
- The Victory 10 model has a 350-lb. weight capacity, and the Victory 9 and 9 PS models have a 300-lb. weight capacity.
Pride Mobility Products Corp.
Multiple Seating Options
- Mid-sized scooter with a 350-lb. weight capacity.
- Standard captain’s seat features forward and backward adjustment, dual-direction rotation and a 105- to 135-degree seat back angle.
- Includes a folding armrest and backrest, adjustable headrest height, 110-amp Rhino controller and quick-release tiller adjustment.
Comfortable Adjustable Armrests
Golden Companion Scooter
- Features an EZ Reach tiller adjustment lever, a control panel with a backlit battery gauge and a removable shopping basket.
- Fully rotating Liquicell-equipped seat provides extra padding.
- Armrests are width, height and angle adjustable and flip up for easy transport.
Sensor Ensures Safe Ride
- Designed to prevent impacts and provide safe mobility using an array of five sensors that project an arc in front of the vehicle.
- During sensor activation, the unit limits scooters to a top speed of 2.3 mph.
- The device detects an individual/object up to 30” away and slows to a gradual stop.
Amigo Mobility International Inc.
Indoor and Outdoor Mobility
- The Lynx L-3, L-4 and L-3X scooters feature an expanded seat with contoured foam and thick padding.
- The seat’s high-strength plastic shell is lightweight and designed for portability.
- Scooters assemble and disassemble for easy transport, and are designed for indoor and outdoor use.
This article originally appeared in the November 2009 issue of HME Business.
Laura Swift is the products editor for HME Business, Mobility Management, and Respiratory & Sleep Management magazines, and can be reached at email@example.com.