CMS’s Physician Final Rule Includes New DME Rules
Includes first-month purchase option elimination, oxygen payment changes for relocating patients.
- By David Kopf
- Nov 04, 2010
p>CMS has released “Medicare Program; Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule and Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2011,” its 2011 Medicare physician final rule, which contains several key provisions for HME providers:
- Adjusts the formula for calculating the annual update for DMEPOS items with a productivity adjustment.
- Eliminates the first-month purchase option for standard power wheelchairs.
- Modifies payment policy for oxygen equipment for beneficiaries who relocate their residence outside the provider’s service area.
- Addresses transition payments for oxygen and capped rental equipment when beneficiaries change providers.
- Adds an appeals process for contract providers terminated from the competitive bidding program.
- Authorizes the implementation of a national mail order competition for diabetes supplies.
- Establishes additional rules for diabetes supplies (50 percent rule and anti-switching rule).
The American Association for Homecare has hosted a PDF file of the final rule, which can be viewed at http://www.aahomecare.org/associations/3208/files/Physician%20Fee%20Rule.pdf.
David Kopf is the Editor of HME Business.